In a press release dated March 23, 2020, the Embassy of India, Washington DC has notified that only restricted consular services are available at Indian consular missions in the U.S. following the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic.
Until further notice, the Indian consular missions in the U.S. will not accept:
- Applications for status as Overseas Citizen of India, including by postal mail.
- Passport applications, including by postal mail. However, applicants requiring passports or renewal of passports on emergency basis may send an email to respective consulate (based on consular jurisdiction) explaining their emergency. Requests will be considered on a case-to-case basis and upon approval, the applicant will be notified of the process by email.
- Washington DC – email@example.com
- New York – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chicago – email@example.com
- Atlanta – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Houston – email@example.com
- Miscellaneous consular services are processed only by postal mail until further notice and on account of the current situation, the notification clarifies that there could be potential delays in providing such miscellaneous services.
Another press release dated March 25, 2020 notifies that the CKGS offices in Washington DC, New York, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, and San Francisco will remain closed until further notice. Applicants should not to send any applications for OCI, Indian Passport and Renunciation applications until further notice.
The press releases can be found here.